Thursday, September 10, 2009

There is Hope!

John and I had our follow up visit yesterday with Dr. A. I had been praying about this visit, and when we went in, I really had a peace about everything. Didn't know why, but I did. (Well, I know that God gave me that peace.) I had been praying about it so that I would be prepared for anything he had to say.

Dr. A told me that everything looks perfect, and is functioning correctly, other than the fact that the sperm seem to be going to the dance alone. My eggs aren't showing up. :-) hehe. we thought that was cute. He presented a treatment option to us (150 mg Clomid + another med that surpresses the male hormones that apparently are keeping me from ovulating - I knew I was feeling strong lately!) Then I could go through another series of ultrasounds, but the cost would be $950. If it didn't work, it would be $950 for each cycle until I got pregnant. or until we moved to another method of treatment, where the cost escalates dramatically. I was a little crushed, because there's no way we can afford that. They want the payment all at once.

I asked them about John's insurance, because I will be solely on his in January. She said she would try, but generally, insurances don't cover fertility treatments at all. She said she was going to go try and find something out.

While she was gone, John and I discussed a few other things, and when she came back in, she had a big smile on her face. She said "um. I have very good news. Your insurance covers three IUIs and three IVFs!!"

Thank. You. Lord.

That's amazing. Less than 15% of insurances cover those treatments, much less cover IN FULL. That's 6 whole months of treatment covered, and Dr. A just looked at me and said "I think it's only gonna take one - two treatments at the most IF you aren't pregnant by the time you come back in January. "

WOO HOO!! He also said "Now, Melissa. You CAN ovulate on your own, and I'll tell you how, but you can't hit me."

"I'm listening."

"You need to lose about 5% of your body mass, and it will start happening again on it's own."

--
So, my friends, I already know the reason why things have worked out the way they have. I have the next 3 1/2 months to work on getting my weight down to where it's supposed to be (my height and age indicate I should be between 125-135, and I'm at 146 now. Was at 153 when I started!!), and just prepare myself for what could come in 2010! Maybe, just maybe, if I get the weight off, i'll start having my monthly visitor on a regular basis, and not have to induce her medically. Dr. A. prescribed me Provera, but wants me to wait two months before taking it.

Our plans for the next few months are to just enjoy each other as a couple, with no stress about babies, but if it happens, we'll be thrilled.

Woo Hoo! Thank you Lord for answered prayers!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! That is so awesome about the insurance! Very few people I know have fertility treatments covered. I wish more companies' insurance would cover it, I'd gladly pay a few more dollars per month for others to have treatment if they need it.
Good luck with the weight loss and hopefully you start ovulating on your own soon!

Jeff & Heather said...

What wonderful news! I wish our insurance companies had been as awesome as the one you'll be on. We'll keep our fingers crossed that you don't end up needing to use it! Good luck with the weight loss (talk about incentive) and we'll continue to keep you all in our prayers.

Unknown said...

That is wonderful news. I am excitied for you. I wished my insurance cover at least a part of it. I will keep you in my prayers. Hope everything works out great for you.